Monday, January 21, 2008

Air Pressure Ignorance

I have a problem. After 20 years of cycling, I haven't figured out the air pressure thing. I've read, I've listened, I've tried. (I even kept a chart of various tire/shock pressures for a while.) On the road, I probably run too much air. Off road, either too much or not enough. My Fox RP rear shock has been 'stuck down' twice, which is essentially the worst air pressure situation you can have - unless you like your fancy FS bike to act like a hardtail with now ground clearance.

Today, I went to lower my pressure for some icy/snowy conditions. I figured 23-25psi would be good. But when I slapped the pump on, it said 14psi! I've ridden several weeks like that. Now I'm wondering if I can trust my digital Trek pump/gauge. Maybe the sidewalls are super stiff on the 2.3" Conties I've been running offroad, but it sure didn't seem like 13 psi. Or did it. Cornering has been an effort in futility lately.

As far as shocks go, I've slowly been inching my fork and rear shock upwards in pressure - trying to achieve a non-sucky FS experience. My talas is now at 110psi and the rear's set to 150psi. At 190lbs, that's high according to the Fox guide (i.e., based on sag). Riding in 20F conditions throws a wrench in the equation as well. Rebound gets sluggish, and I suspect Boyle's law might be having it's way with the preload.

Missing my hardtail still,
W

1 comment:

Chris said...

time for a rigid singlespeed

and the best pressure gauge known to man, your thumb!

8-)