Monday, August 04, 2008

Bryce is Beauuuuutiful


The extended W family will recognize some of our recent activities - a chuck wagon dinner, family horseback riding, and hat purchasing. :) We spent two days at Bryce Canyon after leaving Zion. I've included a couple pics, but it's hard to capture either Zion or Bryce with a camera. (The 25mm Leica lens on my new point-n-shoot is fun, but it distorts the corners - bad news for my subjects who happen to have their faces in the corner of my pics...)



Ben was scared he would have to dance with one of the cowgirls at the chuckwagon dinner, so he hid in a parta-john. Madi picked up roping with some help from a real-life cowboy after the show. I kept trying to rope Ben as he ran around the corral, but I was afraid I'd noose either his neck or ankles. Casey and Alec rode around on couple friendly horses.


The horseback ride through Bryce was great fun, but a couple of us were walking funny after 2 hours in the saddle. We did a few hikes in the canyon as well. 560+ feet of switchbacks to the base of the slot canyons. it was cool and surreal.


This picture is for my mom; I think it would be a good puzzle. See if you can spot the Indian Head penny...

Mike

ps - One more puzzle pic - some plants at Bryce...



Comments from Madi
The kids and I thought the chuckwagon dinner was one of the most fun things we've done. It was a blast. And my husband neglected to tell you that I actually am 100% in my roping from the ground. It's roping from the horse that I need to work on... he he! And they let me ride back on a horse instead of in the chuck wagon, the same one I scared with roping non-ability.

Bryce was amazing. We camped in Red Canyon just a few miles from Bryce(and not touristy at all) on a tip from our French Friends we met near the Grand Canyon. It was gorgeous as well. And I was so proud of my family for riding like champs on the trail ride. Up and down steep hills and twisty turns and through water. They are awesome. Ben wants to do it again.

And the "See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil" pic is for my mom. I'll print it for her when I get home. We started that in the Vatican museum when I was 16 with my brother and sister. It now continues... and is appropriate in my mind anyway.

We miss you all. Julie, I can't believe Kate is finally walking. Yay!!

Meg-you go girl! You are awesome and kicking butt at Navy. We love the pic of you and your company (?) laughing while supposedly drilling in cammy's. Too funny. We are so proud of you.

Stacey-we miss you guys too. Thanks for getting the stuff from the swim team for us and we'll be back soon.


(Mel/Chris - This is 'Thor's Hammer'!)

To the rest of you-thanks for reading, we miss you all, but are loving seeing this big beautiful country. We are counting our blessings every day!

Love,

Madi

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So good......

Chris said...

awesome post & pic's! We're enjoying following your trip vicariously on the blog. When do you get home?