Saturday, February 07, 2015

Packing Lunch

Work lunches are non-trivial with Whole30, even if you are surrounded by restaurants.  Assuming you don't mind asking the waiter for ingredients lists (like I do), you are likely to find few dishes that are Whole30.  On a trip to Raleigh NC, the best I could do at a well regarded establishment was pulled pork on a plate with 2 sides of green beans.  The meat tasted like it had brown sugar in it and the beans were cooked in butter. On another occasion (at work), a lunch spread was provided:
  • pizza (dairy)
  • sandwiches (grains)
  • chips (grains)
  • 'nutrition' bars (sugar)
  • salad (with 2 kinds of cheese and only creamy dressings)
  • brownies (sugar, dairy, grains)
  • donuts (duh)
The only Whole30 item on the table was a container of chopped onion for the sandwiches.  I made due with a bag of almonds I brought and picked some plane veggies from the salad.

Fortunately, we've been cooking a variety of tasty meals at home, so when I'm in the office, I can take  tasty lunches like this:


  • a lime to spruce up my glass of water
  • strawberries
  • leftover spinach and egg frittata
  • dates and dried peaches
  • pumpkin soup
  • a small glass of smoothy


No comments: